Entity Framework support

Hi,

Is there an intent to develop support for Entity Framework or at least ADO.NET?
I’m eager to use CockroachDB in a new cloud project, but I hesitate mainly because there is no official client and support for the .NET environment.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!

Hi Mihai!

I’ve been testing using npgsql and it’s been working great. The visualization through the server explorer isn’t working yet, but I’m going to make sure that’s working soon.

That being said, I’ve been mostly issuing direct sql calls. But I’m going to expand my testing to also test using the entity framework as well.

So while we don’t officially support it yet, we will be very soon. And if you do run into any issues, file a bug and we’ll be sure to fix it.

Hi Bram!

Thanks for the info! I’ll be trying the npgsql entity framework provider when I get the chance to play around some more.
There’s one thing that bugs me…
How do we use cockroachdb’s ability to receive connections from any node and make the client aware of these multiple nodes?
It would be a total shame if the client wouldn’t know how to fail over through the list of nodes. And ideally this should be supported from within the client itself and not require special coding in the application.
Is there any way we could do this with npgsql?

So our recommendation right now is to use haproxy or some other load balancer. See https://www.cockroachlabs.com/docs/stable/manual-deployment.html#step-5-set-up-haproxy-load-balancers.

However, we do expose an endpoint that contains all the nodes, so you could theoretically have your client request those. Hit /_status/nodes which will return a full list of current nodes, including their address/ports. So you could cache this list internally and perform a this load balancing internally. You could even base it on some of the metrics that we return in that same call. (or ping times maybe).