Incorrect Range Sizes in AdminUI

Hello - I’m trying to ingest data from a de-normalized database to cockroachdb. I created 3 tables. Table1 is the parent. Table2 is child of Table1 & Table3 is child of Table2.

Upon some data ingestion, here is the table size chart that I see in AdminUI

TABLE NAME SIZE RANGES # OF COLUMNS # OF INDICES
Table1 18.9 MiB 1 17 1
Table2 75.1 MiB 1 8 2
Table3 90.9 MiB 1 13 2

Why are Table2 and Table3 still in 1 range? According to the documentation, shouldnt it be split to two or more ranges already? What am I missing? Is there a config that I need to turn on to make this happen?

Brief about infra:
3 node cluster on kube

Hey @jkondapalli,

The size column is defined as follows:

Approximate total disk size of the table across all replicas.

In your example, table two and table three have (by default) 3 replicas, and so the size column would be the aggregate of those 3 range replicas—approximately 25MiB and 30MiB respectively—which would be below the 64MiB limit for ranges to split.

Does that make sense? I know that the matrix itself isn’t clear and I’ll bring this up to the product manager who owns the Admin UI.

Also, for your reference, here is the doc that explains what those columns mean.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Ron

That doesn’t add up…
We have been loading data into these tables since morning. we now have 160MB of data in Table3 and we already see two ranges. According to that documentation, we should be seeing two ranges in the cluster for this table until the table size hits 192 MB in Admin UI. Isn’t it?

Hey @jkondapalli,

It could be that the other table hasn’t split for whatever reason, 64MiB is the max size for a range.

I did a quick test of this, once it was over 192MiB, the range for my test table split:

Has the range grown larger, and still not split?

Thanks,

Ron

Hi @ronarev - your test makes sense.

What I meant to say is range split happened before the table size(incl. of replicas) hit 192MiB size.
We have been loading data since yesterday. The ranges we see in the Admin UI are bubbling up more questions :smiley:

As I mentioned earlier, the 3 tables are interleaved.
Given that avg row size of child is bigger than parent, Why does parent has more ranges than child?
is this normal?

Hey @jkondapalli,

I was talking about this with some of our engineers. When tables are interleaved, those other ranges are empty ranges for the child tables. Only the parent table would have ranges that would grow with data being added. As to why you’re seeing the child ranges increase, do you happen to have any indexes on those child tables? That could be the reason why you’re seeing ranges “split” on child tables and not the parent.

Thanks,

Ron