Product Roadmap

Noticed that common table expressions are on the roadmap. Does that include support WITH RECURSIVE?

And then recursion is similar in ways to graph queries, also on the roadmap. Were you thinking something non-SQLish like Gremlin or GraphQL? Or is there a SQL form for graphs that I’m not aware of?

Hi mandolyte
thanks for your question. CTEs will be supported initially without recursion, i.e. WITH RECURSIVE will not be supported. Once we start to understand the use cases we may consider adding this support. Of course you can tell us more about your use case to guide our roadmap.

@mandolyte Specifically regarding your question on graph queries that we’ve listed on our roadmap, the actual implementation and scheduling of that specific feature has not been planned out yet. That feature is listed so that our users can get a sense of where our product will go in the future over the course of the next 12-18 months.

It will take me a while, but I’ll provide information on both recursion/graph, which in my mind are related. I’ll try to get a write up done in next few weeks.

thanks!

It took me a long time, but I finally have written up my thoughts on support of recursion and graphs. Hope you find it useful! Find it here.

Thank you!
@awoods187 do you want to have a look and see how much that creates a user story we can cater for?

Starting at the end summary gives a quick insight into how I looked at this enhancement. I have added some comments on things that I might add to the draft to improve it. I’d be happy to help craft user stories or in any way I can. Cheers.

It is possible to extend a relational database to cover a significant portion of what native graph databases are capable of.

• By conventions on how to define node and edge tables, natural graph-like syntax can be defined.
  • With the graph-like syntax, a natural way to handle recursion is possible.
  • By allowing edge-to-edge connections, simpler and more efficient data models are possible than are available in native graph databases.
  • With schema enforcement of edge constraints, validations of SQL become possible.
  • The same validation data can be used to enable “table wildcarding”, permitting solutions to classic “shortest path” problems, heretofore, the peculiar strength of native graph databases.