Query read/write performance degradation from 2.1.5 to 19.1.3

Hi, I’m evaluating CockroachDB, and previously I had a 5 node cluster in GCP setup with the below single table schema which has ~50 million rows in it:

CREATE TABLE cellevents (
ckm_partition INT8 NOT NULL,
revision_partition INT8 NOT NULL,
revision INT8 NOT NULL,
value DECIMAL(18,8) NULL,
composite_key JSONB NOT NULL,
eventSequence INT8 NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT revision_partition_pk PRIMARY KEY (revision_partition, revision, eventSequence),
INVERTED INDEX ckm_composite_key_idx (composite_key)
);

In version 2.1.5 I could execute a query such as:
SELECT value, composite_key from cellevents WHERE revision_partition=3562736 AND revision=2 AND composite_key->‘3’=‘3722’ order by eventsequence;

This could return up to 5000 rows in ~25ms. We’ve recently upgraded the cluster to version 19.1.3 (same cluster size), and the same query on the same schema and data volume now takes ~200ms. In both cases the execution plan is the same, and in both cases it is a distributed read query.

I’ve also noticed that using the bulk import command to get this test data in takes in the region of 1.5x - 2x longer.

Can you explain why such a massive speed degradation would occur?

Thanks

Hi Mark,

This is surprising. I’m not aware of any changes that could explain the degradation in a distributed read query. Can you run the queries with EXPLAIN ANALYZE on both clusters? That would give us more information of the differences.

Given that other stuff is slower as well, is it possible that the hardware that was provisioned for the 19.1 cluster is slower?

1 Like

Hi Radu, I must apologise, it was a bug in our application which meant that an huge amount more records we written to each key combination. The read performance is fine now we’ve found and fixed this bug!

Thanks