Quote_ident & CREATE FUNCTION

Hello,

CRDB v2.0-alpha is lacking a function quote_ident, and I have thought to create an alternative with CREATE FUNCTION, but I see that’s missing too from CRDB.

Any thoughts on going about obtaining a quote_ident function on this version?
I know quote_ident is mentioned in issue #15006 but it’s unclear if this will be added in the future.

Thank you!

Hi @dalv,

We’re planning on adding quote_ident soon. Out of curiosity, what’s your use case for it?

CREATE FUNCTION is not slated for implementation in the near term.

Thanks,
Jordan

1 Like

Hi @jordan,

Trying on Symfony/Doctrine on CRDB. After I finally managed to move my db from MySQL to PostgreSQL, dump it, manually change it and import it to CRDB, then the first issue I ran into was quote_ident. And the second one was the lack of SELECT on sequences.

I guess it will still be a while until Symfony will work with CRDB, but until then I’d like to test here and there and see what’s needed.

Thanks,

Vlad

Thanks. You can probably get around the sequence thing with the pg_sequence_parameters builtin or information_schema.sequences or pg_catalog.pg_sequence. But we recognize that it’s irritating to have to change your tools for compatibility - we do take compatibility misses seriously.

Also check out https://github.com/cockroachdb/cockroach/issues/19337 for another issue about Symfony.

1 Like

Thanks for your support and for adding this to the github issue!