What's new in CockroachDB beta-20161103
Another busy few weeks at Cockroach Labs. In our latest beta release, you can see we're making good strides towards full support for distributed SQL. We've also made progress on performance, and minimal backwards-incompatible changes.
You can download the new beta here.
The Cockroach Labs Team
Nov 3, 2016
- Users (other than
root) must now be created with the
CREATE USERstatement or
cockroach user setcommand before they can be used for TLS certificate- or password-based authentication. #9794
ambiguous resulterror message introduced in
beta-20161027is now simply
result is ambiguoussince it may be returned outside of transactions. #10279
SQL Language Changes
- Password-based authentication is now supported. Clients can authenticate with either a TLS certificate or a password. Documentation coming soon.#9794
SHOW USERSstatement is now supported. #10088
pg_catalog.pg_amtables are now supported. #10209, #10284, #10276, #10217, #10363
information_schema.viewstables are now supported. #10220, #10288
SHOW TABLESnow adds a
(dropped)suffix to tables that are being dropped. #10063
SHOW CREATE VIEWnow only requires permissions on the view, not the underlying tables. #10270
Command-Line Interface Changes
- When entering a transaction in the built-in sql shell, the statements are not sent to the server until there is either a
ROLLBACK, or two blank lines. This minimizes the lifetime of the transaction and therefore the risk of conflicts. #10187
- Queries that span multiple ranges are now executed across those ranges in parallel. #9197
- Time series data (used in the admin UI) is now loaded in parallel. #10250
- Rebalancing now reaches an equilibrium faster. #10330
- Memory usage of SQL queries is now monitored, and queries that use too much will fail rather than exhaust the server’s memory. #9259
- Fixed a problem with snapshot error handling that could cause the cluster to be unable to make progress after node failure.
- Computing the
log()of a very large number no longer causes the server to hang. #10221
- Decimal numbers are now parsed correctly in
AS OF SYSTEM TIMEqueries. #10242
concat_ws()with no arguments no longer crashes the server. #10309
- Fixed a bug when a command was executed after its client had disconnected. #10279
- Clarified and expanded the
transactionsoverview documentation, and completed docs on transaction-specific statements: #672
- Added language-specific examples for
- Updated the SQL Feature Support page to reflect support for views (SQL standard) and interleaved tables (CockroachDB extensions).
This release includes 68 merged PRs by 24 authors. We would like to thank the following contributors from the CockroachDB community, including first-time contributors Johan Brandhorst and MaBo.
- Johan Brandhorst
- Yan Long